Saturday, March 7, 2009

From punch cards to Blu-ray, a history of data storage

From punch cards to Blu-ray, a history of data storage : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech: "My my my, what a walk down memory lane Maximum PC has in store for old-school computer users today: A timeline of data storage formats dating back to the very dawn of computing.

I'm not old enough to have ever used punch cards or other paper-based storage systems, but I certainly did my time with cassette tapes and just about every other format on the list (yes, even 8-inch floppies and reel-to-reel tapes).

Who will ever forget 5.25' and 3.5' floppies? I even retain a small collection of the latter -- alas, I junked my last 5.25' drive (just in case!) several years ago -- just in case I find myself needing to install MS-DOS 6 or Windows 3.1."

No comments: